Caution – your job may disappear
There is a good chance that your job will disappear; how to make a plan.
You can't be sure of your job!
Nobody is certain of a job anymore. So who are coming for your job? Robots and, outsourcing are and economic changes play a big role. The new economy is called the gig economy. This is a term you’re going to hear a lot more of over the coming months and years. - The ‘gig economy’, otherwise known as the sharing economy or the on-demand economy.
The gig economy is nothing new: since the first motor car, mechanics would work on friends’ cars in the evenings to supplement their incomes, and doctors would tend patients privately. What is new is and how technology is ripping across geographical and traditional boundaries. Why employ a full-time accountant with all the regulatory and cost headaches, when someone halfway around the world can do it more efficiently and cheaper?
Did you know that?
- In a recent report, the World Economic Forum predicted that robotic automation will result in the net loss of more than 5 million jobs across 15 developed nations by 2020, a conservative estimate.
- Another study, conducted by the International Labor Organization, states that as many as 137 million workers across Cambodia, Indonesia, the Philippines, Thailand and Vietnam – approximately 56% of the total workforce of those countries – are at risk of displacement by robots, particularly workers in the garment manufacturing industry.
- In a new report, McKinsey says almost half (49%) of paid activities in the global economy have the potential to be automated by adapting currently demonstrated technology.
- Recent developments in robotics, artificial intelligence, and machine learning have put us on the brink of a new automation age. Robots and computers can not only perform a range of routine physical work activities better and more cheaply than humans. They are also increasingly capable of doing activities that include cognitive (thinking) capabilities once considered too difficult to automate successfully, such as making difficult judgments, sensing emotion, or even driving.
Going beyond traditional borders.
Building your business today means going far beyond your own backyard. As a result, non-native English speakers have the potential to work across borders to grow their companies on a global scale.
For business owners, the advantage of hiring freelancers is two-fold:
- Firstly, freelancers provide businesses with flexibility with hiring as they can find talent on a project-by- project basis instead of relying on full-timers.
- Secondly, freelancers can be hired at the fraction of the cost of a dedicated employee.
In the new “gig economy” money is flowing in multiple directions. New businesses emerge to compete for the delivery of products and services. Distinct and new opportunities and challenges have grown as a result. This new network economy has its own rules. It is a labor market where there are many short-term contracts or freelance work, as opposed to permanent jobs. In a gig economy there are many temporary positions and organizations contract with independent workers for short-term jobs and assignments
The activities most susceptible to automation
Activities most susceptible to automation are physical ones in highly structured and predictable environments, as well as data collection and processing. And it’s not just low-skill, low-wage work that could be automated. Middle-skill and high-paying, high-skill occupations, too, have a degree of automation potential. As processes are transformed by the automation of individual activities, people will perform activities that complement the work that machines do.
An analysis by McKinsey shows that humans will still be needed in the workforce: the total productivity gains they estimate will only come about if people work alongside machines.
Hardest activities to automate
The hardest activities to automate with the technologies available today are those that involve managing and developing people (9% automation potential), where expertise is applied to decision-making, planning, or creative work (18%), or interacting with customers, suppliers, and other stakeholders (20%).
Coming up with new ideas is likely to stay exclusively within the competence of humans for some time to come, so artists and academics are likely to be safe for a while.
Project management skills are essential
According to John Berra a retired chairman of Emerson Process Management the most important skill in the automation world is project management. Projects are how things get done, whether you are a supplier, engineering contractor, or owner. Excellent project management skills make a huge difference in the success of automation products or software, an automation upgrade in an existing facility, or the construction of a brand new facility.
Project managers possess leadership and planning skills that automation will unlikely be able to duplicate in the foreseeable future. Rather than having large human teams, the 'PM of the future' may also have machines at his or her command, ensuring that they're performing complementary tasks and that various inter-dependencies are kept on track
How to survive?
If you don’t want to become an antique feature you will have to find a way to survive the uprising of automation. Here are some ideas:
- Create your own business by becoming an entrepreneur. This could be an online venture or residential business. There are many ideas, guidelines and training courses available on the internet.
- History has proven new technologies to create new jobs and not only destroying them. Somebody must build code and maintain the robots. Most probably, this will create new, high-skilled jobs for technicians, programmers and other newly essential roles.
- Apply for and perform freelance jobs. There are many internet platforms connecting freelancers and employers or clients wanting to get assignments completed. You can do freelance assignments in addition to your current job.
- Don’t give up by thinking you are not good enough. Persist and engage in continuous learning by updating your skills and competencies regularly. Set yourself learning goals and use a coach when necessary.
- Keep track of changes and update yourself to best utilize new opportunities in your areas of interest. The result may be very exciting highly rewarding and a satisfactory new life.
For those of you who want more information of how to find freelance projects and contract jobs/assignments I have written a special report to help you securing assignments and freelance jobs. This report is packed with information. You will have a number of freelance platforms at you finger tips and also various organizations you can contact who make use of freelancers. There is also a section of how to draw up a good resume.
Powered by Facebook Comments